Skip to main content

Spare Me ..The "Gadgets"

I have an utter disregard for gadgets,while the whole world around me seems to be smitten by their charm. The complication is that, my work is related to that world of gadgets. So if in case, people start to share my apathy for gadgets, I would actually be right on the roads to joblessness.

Now,I see everyone around me having a phone with a music player, a camera, as an internet device as everything… and then I hear the reason for that because people do not have to carry all of these separately.  But, when was the last time we needed all three at the same time?
So here is what I have heard a lot of times .. we go for a trip and we did not remember to bring the camera…so I have my phone or my iPad which will help me in taking all my pictures.. really? If you ask me, you were irresponsible in forgetting your camera and the laws of nature say that any irresponsible action should bear with its consequences.
People around me look like cranky kids who just think of something they want and which is not available to them…and some one is there to make it and sell it out to them..


In all these years of having 3-G on my phone, I refused . I think I have missed it only once., when I was stuck in the traffic and had a call with whom I had a meeting and cant call him because I don’t have international calling enabled. But once I reached office and apologized, it was perfectly acceptable.. so really there was no need of fretting about it..It really was not a life and death situation .And I have put myself in all sorts of difficult positions like getting on the wrong bus twice. So the first time I called up someone who can give me a taxi number.. the other time I asked a fellow passenger who takes the bus regularly to help me out..people say that if I had a phone with an internet I would not have needed to do this. To be independent ….But isn’t this reducing human to human interaction….
The utter disregard to common sense when people are using gadgets is appalling. So we have the directions given all over the road but the gadget shows something and of course we follow the gadget rather than the  road directions or the maps….So the gadget is no more the helper it is the decider…
Talk about invasion of work into private space! So you go on a holiday but still connected. You come home from work and then you can still start where you left.
For me this has just made us really lazy, irresponsible and dolt as a society. So why bother about preparing for a trip when you have a GPS to help you with the directions. Why bother to tell anyone what time you are reaching and then keep the time.. you always have your mobile to reach out to anyone at anytime. Why finish off the work in allotted hours of work.. You can always come back home and still finish off the work. Sure these tools have empowered us but isn’t there something that says with great empowerment comes great responsibility. How many of us who own these gadgets are mature and responsible enough for their use?


And as I sign off, the opening verse from Gods must be Crazy - getting truer by the day:
Civilized man refused to adapt himself to his environment; instead, he adapted his environment to suit him. So he built cities, roads, vehicles, machinery, and he put up power lines to run his labour-saving devices. But somehow he didn't know where to stop. The more he improved his surroundings to make life easier, the more complicated he made it. So now his children are sentenced to 10-15 years of school, just to learn how to survive in this complex and hazardous habitat they were born into. And civilized man, who refused to adapt to his surroundings, now finds he has to adapt and re-adapt every hour of the day to his self-created environment. [imdb]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another feather in the unstable life

So here I was, standing in the queue to go to New York. I still cannot believe I was doing this. A part of me was horrified, another part resigned to the situation, still another angry, one part sad etc etc.…. Yes I think I (or any girl) can divide themselves into so many parts (and more) at the same time for the same reason. Now here’s the story of why exactly I was standing in that line. Some 8 months back, I took the vows of marriage which I think includes being with the husband till "death do us apart". I am really not sure what other clauses were included in the fine print that the pundit said for over two hours during the ceremony. I was more interested in finding out if every friend/relative who had come liked the food or not. The fire, the fasting plus Sanskrit didn’t help much either. Plus we had a deadline to meet, to finish everything before the hall closes. In short, who cares what the pundit was saying. Anyways, marriage over, next two months went in shoppin

Live & Enjoy every moment of life

I recently went to my parent's house to stay over for a few weeks. I was meeting them after almost two years. A lot of things changed in these few years. I grew older of course, learnt new things in life and work, met awesome people, visited great places. Life was changing everyday and change was becoming a constant friend for me. During this topsy turvy times when I was expecting a new wave of changes to hit me before life settled down a bit, I took a trip to visit my parents. I met them after two years and the house after 4 years. But when everywhere, the world was changing, time seemed to have stopped still in that house. Everything seemed to be in the same place as they were 4 years back. I touched my mother and she appeared wrinkly. Dad looked frail than the last time l met him. But everything else starting from their smiles to the things and their placements remained the same.My mother seemed to be working in the same kitchen that I grew up in, the dining table was

Of paradoxes, ironies and anti-thesis

All three words remind me of a different era in school when we were learning figures of speech. The grammatical areas in the brain have been numbed with the increasing use of a polluted form of the language. Suddenly I feel those areas being rejuvenated with the hope that I will be making an effort to justify their use in the real sense. But, at the outset, let me admit I am no grammar enthusiast to give this a remote try. Yes but I do want to write on the curious similarities I find in the world we live in and these figures of speech. 1) The person who makes a building, can he ever own a house like that(realistically)? 2) Everywhere (read the Vedas for example) it is said that service to the society is greatest. But the people who provide services to the society or a person(the roadside barber or the cleaner) are not considered the greatest people. 3) Clothes are for based on weather. However, the hotter places have the culture to cover up the body whereas the colder on